QuickNote | Introduction | Mathematical
Analysis | Applet Tutorial | Applet
Worksheet | Quiz | SPICE/CAD
| References | Feedback
(A Five Minute Tutorial)
- Main Concepts To Learn:
A Quick Step-By-Step For Each Topic:
- Fermi level, Ef, and the occupation probability of quantum states by
- Temperature effect on electron distribution.
- Topic-1: Fermi level, Ef, and the occupation probability of quantum
states by an electron
Topic-2: Temperature effect on electron distribution
- Using mouse, click and hold down the Ef --------------
line, and move up-and-down.
- Observe the electrons ( .
) occupying or vacating quantum states ( __ )
- Try to relate this phenomenon to the value of Fermi Function, f(E).
The f(E) value is the probability of occupation.
- Use the scroll bar at the bottom of applet to change the Temperature.
You may click and hold the arrow or drag the bar |.
- Observe both the change of shape in f(E), left figure, and the corresponding
electron distribution, right figure.
- Does high T give you a more gradual occupation in states around Ef
level ? How about T=0K ? [applet shows some bug at T=0K.]